"Company" means STAR India Private Limited, the organizer of the Show.
"Contestant(s)": Any person(s) who is eighteen (18) years and above of age, is a citizen of India and is resident of India (as per the definition of "resident" in the Income Tax Act, 1961), does not have a qualification in cooking or the hospitality industry (degree/diploma etc.) and enters the Show in accordance with the rules stated below.
"Program" means the Show(s) (defined below) which shall be titled "Master Chef (tentative)"
"Call" means a manually dialed call or through an Interactive Voice Response system ("IVR") system.
"Schedule" means a set of episodes of the Show to be recorded and/or recording dates as pre-determined by the Company.
"Show(s)" means each episode(s) of the Program including any Special Show(s).
"Show Number and Date" means the number and date of recording of the Studio Part of the Show in question.
"Show Player(s)" means the finalist(s) who has got short-listed by the Company after clearing the selection process and has made it to the Studio Part of the Show.
"Residence" means the location/place where the Show Player(s) will be required to stay during the Program Schedule which will be arranged by the production house appointed by the Company with regard to the Program ("Production House").
"Special Show(s)" means any episode/s of the Show recorded with Contestants who belong to a category other than that specified hereunder, which may include celebrities or children special, or any other category which may be decided upon by the Company in its sole discretion. Such episodes may have additional rules (as amendments/attachments) to which the Contestants will have to comply with along with all the other rules of the Competition
"Audition Centre" means a location in any of the following Cities where the Contestants need to come for the audition process: Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmadabad, Jaipur, Indore and Lucknow or any other such City as the Company may nominate.
"Studio" means any location deemed fit by the Company for filming of the Program.
"Studio Part" means the part of the Show which is conducted in the Studio whether or not recorded for transmission.
1. Procedure to register to participate in the selection process
(a) The selection process shall begin on June 13, 2010. The Company shall promote the selection process through on-air (promos, Astons, bugs etc.), Radio and online and state the mechanism in which the Contestant(s) can participate in the Program.
(b) The Contestants can register his/her telephone number to participate in the Show by sending SMS: "AKSHAY"
(c) The Contestants can register by logging on to www.starplus.in and following the instructions stated therein in relation to the Auditions.
(d) The SMS and online registration shall be open during the Period from June 13, 2010 (IST) to July 13, 2010 14:00 (IST) (both dates included) only. In case SMS or online submissions are sent after the lines have closed the said entry(ies) shall not be valid.
2. Cost applicable for the sms sent by the Contestant(s)
The cost charged to the Participant(s) by the respective network provider(s) shall be as follows:
BSNL west covers Maharashtra, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Goa. This does not include roaming charges.
2.1 STAR India shall not be responsible and/or liable in any manner whatsoever for any network problem, breakdown of machinery, unclear network, disruption in the network and/or the cost of the SMS charged by the telecom/mobile operator etc. Any dispute in connection to the above shall be settled between the subscriber(s)/viewer(s) and the mobile operator directly, without involving STAR India.
2.2 In case of telecom and/or network failure and/or for any reasons whatsoever, STAR India reserves the right to change the entry system/mechanism and/or cease accepting entries of the viewer(s) during the Period or take such necessary steps as it may deem fit in its sole and absolute discretion.
Level 1 of the selection process (57827 and online):
(1) The Contestants will be required to punch/SMS (in the manner stated above). Entries with additional and/or inadequate information shall be disqualified.
(2) After the Contestant sends the information (as mentioned above), the Contestant shall be contacted via call by the Company within a reasonable period of time.
(3) Alternatively, the Contestants can log on to www.starplus.in and follow the instructions stated therein and register themselves. Knowledge of spoken Hindi is essential for participation. The Contestants shall be contacted via call by the Company within a reasonable period of time.
(4) The Contestants will be asked a set of questions. The Company, at its sole discretion, shall select the Contestants for the next level of the selection process. Such selected Contestants shall be informed about the audition venue, date, and other information if any.
(5) Similarly, for the online registration person whose name is given in the online form shall be construed to have sent the entry(ies) for the Auditions. Consequently, only that person will be eligible for the telephonic interview.
(6) The Company at its sole discretion may have mall activation as an entry mechanism where the Contestant(s) will need to fill up a form and submit to the Company and/or its representatives. In the event, the Contestant(s) are selected; they will be informed about the audition venue, date, and other information if any.
(7) In the event, the mobile number (from which the SMS is sent) and/or the Telephone number (given in the online registration form) is not registered in the contestant's name, the contestant must submit a NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE (NOC) from the person in whose name the mobile number or the telephone number is registered to Star India. If the contestant can not submit a NOC in the given time, STAR India shall be entitled to forfeit that entry for the Auditions.
(8) In the event that a Contestant's name is selected such Contestant will be contacted on the telephone/mobile number registered with the Company. In the event the registered telephone/mobile number is coming engaged, or lines on the route are busy, or it is ringing but is not answered, the Company shall make minimum two (2) attempts to establish contact. If successful contact is made the telephone conversation will be recorded and Contestants will be asked to confirm that they will comply with the rules (and be advised of where to obtain copies if required), provide all the necessary documentation to substantiate the information provided by the Contestant to the Company during the call. In case for whatever reason the Contestant is unable to hear the question(s) the question(s) will be repeated once only by the Company, therefore the Contestant(s) is required to ensure that he/she is able to hear the question(s) clearly.
(9) Further, the Contestant(s) may be asked personal details (i.e. full name, permanent present residence address, date of birth, etc.) and such other information to check the eligibility of the Contestant to participate.
(10) The short listed Contestants shall be informed by the Company. Such Contestants shall be , eligible for the next level of selection and the date, venue and time for next level of auditions shall be conveyed to them.
(11) The said call between the Company and the Contestant(s) may be recorded (solely at Company's discretion).
(12) Alternatively, in addition to the above entry mechanism Star India, at its sole discretion, shall be conducting Mini Auditions and "Cook offs" across the cities of India in various residential societies and malls etc., where the interested Contestants will be asked to cook a dish in a given time and the same shall be evaluated by the Company and/ or any other food specialist(s) appointed by the Company. The Company has the sole discretion to select the Contestants. In case the Contestant gets selected, such Contestant(s) shall be eligible for the next level of selection. The date, venue and time for next level of auditions shall be conveyed to them by the company.
Level 2 of the selection process:
(13) The short listed contestant(s) from the level 1 of selection is required to make himself/herself available at the Audition Centre(s) (as defined above) for the auditions on that particular day ("Agreed Date") and agreeable to travel, stay, etc. entirely at his/her own expense, in case the Contestant will not be available for the auditions on the Agreed Date &/or Audition Centre(s) and/or is not eligible as per the rules and/or is not agreeable to travel, stay, etc. entirely at his/her own expense, the Contestant will be disqualified. In addition to the short listed contestant(s) from the level 1 of selection, Contestants can participate through walk-in entries at the Audition Centre.
(14) The Company at its sole discretion shall decide on the number of Contestants to audition on a particular day. The walk-in Contestants shall be given entry on first come first basis and the short listed Contestants from the level 1 of selection process shall be given preference over the Contestants entering through walk-ins.
(15) The contestant(s) shall do any and all acts and execute any and all documents in such manner and at such location as may be required by the Channel and/or STAR India in its sole and absolute discretion.
(16) The Contestants may be asked to get a dish (edible item) prepared by them and the same shall be evaluated by the Company and/ or any other food specialist(s) appointed by the Company. In case the Contestant's dish gets selected, such Contestant(s) shall be required to be present at the Audition Centre on one more day at a time specified by the Company. Such Contestant(s) shall be asked to perform a task and further interviewed by the Company and/ or any other person(s) appointed by the Company.
(17) The Company reserves the right to select one hundred (100) Contestant(s) from all the Audition Centre(s). The selected Contestants shall be eligible for the next level of selection and the date, venue and time for next level of auditions shall be conveyed to them.
(18) In case for whatever reason the Agreed Date &/or Audition Centre and/or is not agreeable to travel, stay, etc. entirely at his/her own expense, the Company will regretfully consider the entry of the Contestant as invalid.
Level 3 of the selection process (Mumbai Auditions)
(19) The selected Contestant(s) shall be required to reach the venue in Mumbai, on such date and time as informed by the Company. If the Contestant(s) fails to attend the Mumbai Audition at the venue on the date and time as informed by the Company, the entry of the Contestant(s) will be invalid.
(20) The Contestant(s) will be required to get himself/herself registered by executing the necessary documents and also by furnishing the documents as required to verify the personal details provided by the Contestant(s) in Level 2. Each of the selected Contestants shall be required to furnish the necessary documentation (as stated in the General Rules) in original to confirm the eligibility details, etc. provided by the said Contestant. In case the said Contestant is unable to furnish the original document(s) to verify the eligibility details and also submit photocopy of the same, the said Contestant shall be disqualified by the Company.
(21)The Mumbai auditions will be held for three (3) days. The Contestant(s) shall be evaluated by the Company and/ or any food specialist(s) and/or expert(s) in other fields appointed by the Company ("Esteemed Panel"). The Contestant(s) will have to cook one (1) dish from the top three dishes of their choice in front of the Esteemed Panel.
(22)The Esteemed Panel will, judge the Contestant(s) on the basis of the dish so cooked in front of them and select Contestant(s) for the next level of selection. Each of the selected Contestant(s) shall be contacted individually by the Company for the next level of selection process.
Level 4 of the selection process ("Boot Camp")
(23). Each of the Contestant(s) selected in the above Level 3 will be telephoned on the telephone number provided and shall be informed the date, venue and approximate time to participate in the Boot Camp held at Mumbai or a place near Mumbai. In the event the registered telephone/mobile number is coming engaged, or lines on the route are busy, or it is ringing but is not answered, the Company shall make minimum two (2) attempts to establish contact. If successful contact is made the telephone conversation will be recorded and Contestants will:
(i) Be informed about the nature, duration and any other details with regard to the Boot Camp and the Program and asked to re-confirm that they will comply with the rules (and be advised of where to obtain copies if required) and, reconfirm whether the Contestant will be available for the Boot Camp and the Program date (and that they agree to participate in the Program). In case for whatever reason the agreed Program date was not correctly heard by the Contestant and the Contestant cannot attend the Program on the date and time in question, the Company will regretfully be unable to offer an alternative Program and date.
(ii) The Contestant(s) will have to perform and pass through a series of tasks to qualify for the next level.
(iii) The Company shall make arrangements, for the travel of the outstation Contestant(s) and accommodation and meals (three meals in a day) of the Contestant(s) during the period of the Boot Camp. The Company shall make the arrangements mentioned above as deemed fit by the Company.
(iv) The Company shall select Show Player(s) form amongst the Contestant(s). The selected Show Player(s) shall have to ensure that they will make themselves available for all shoot dates and travel to any place for the shoot of the Program, as may be informed by the Company.
(v) The selected Show Players will need to reside in Mumbai or a place near Mumbai during the shoot schedule of the Program.
(24) Upon successful contact and agreement with the Show Player(s) in relation to the arrangements for such Contestant(s) attendance at the Studio, the selected Show Player(s) must attend the Studio at the time and date communicated by the Company.
(25) In the event of the failure of any of the Show Player(s) from attending the Studio by the aforesaid time for any reason whatsoever the Company shall be entitled to exclude such Show Player(s) from the Show.
Level 5 (Studio Part of the Show):
(26) On the Show date the selected Contestant(s) will be met at the Studio by a representative of the Company. The selected Contestant(s) will be required to sign an agreement in standard form for contributors to television programmes and shall include (i) their confirmation that they have understood and agree to the rules of the Program and (ii) their consent to the recording of their contribution to the Program, and thereafter to the broadcast and all other audio visual exploitation and to the publication of his/her name and photograph in any media.
(27)The rules and regulations with regard to the Studio Part of the Program and/or any other activities will be communicated and explained directly to the Show Player(s) by the Company prior to the recording of the Program.
1. During the Program Schedule contestants will be engaged in tasks and challenges as part of a competition (Competition). Every week Contestants may be eliminated following challenges in the manner described to contestants for each challenge and completely at the discretion of the Esteemed Panel.
2. The continued participation of contestants in the Competition is based on the decisions to eliminate Contestants following challenge tasks and any other Rules set by the Company.
3. The Company and /or the Production House will inform the contestants the rules of the challenge as appropriate. It is the responsibility of the contestant to adhere to the challenge rules, for he or she will be held personally accountable by the producing team.
4. Show Player(s) are required to take part in the challenges as set and as instructed or risk elimination from the Competition.
5. During challenge tasks, Show Player(s) may be required to undertake food preparation, food tasting or ingestion or related tasks that are contradictory to their own dietary choices, or practices , (e.g vegetarians may be required to eat meat). Show Player(s) are expected to undertake such tasks on the basis set by the Company.
6. The elimination and the elimination process of a contestant are final and not subject to appeal or review whatsoever.
7. The Company may, at any time, divide the Show Player(s) into a number of teams in any combination and by any method the Company chooses. Show Player(s) must work as part of their team, when not working individually as instructed by the Companys.
8. Show Player(s) will be eliminated over the course of these challenges in the Competition, and the final remaining contestant will be the winner of the Competition. Rules and procedures for the Program and the Competition are entirely at the discretion of the Company and subject to change as notified from time to time. The method and manner of elimination of Show Player(s) from the Competition is subject to change at any time by the Company.
9. Show Player(s) will be required to remain at specified locations (Locations) and the Residence for the duration of the Program Schedule The Company reserves the right to shorten or lengthen the Program Schedule without prior notification. The Show Player(s) shall make themselves available for the training program as and when required by the Company and/or Production House.
10. The Company in its sole discretion, will determine specific locations in respect of the tasks and Competition. The Show Player(s) will be required to attend at such specific locations as required by the Company in a timely manner and will be required to stay at such locations for the duration of any filming unless specifically dismissed by the Company. The Production House shall make all arrangements with regard to the stay and travel of the Show Player(s) during the Program Schedule as deemed fit.
11. No guest of the Show Player(s) will be allowed in or around the Locations or Residence.
12. The Show Player(s) will be held personally responsible for all and any damage caused by them to the Residence and/ or other property and facilities.
13. Show Player(s) will be held responsible for any damage that they cause to the Residence or other facilities or locations.
14. The Show Player(s) shall take entire responsibility for their own property of whatever sort whether in the Residence or at any other of the Locations. The Company accepts no responsibility for any such property.
15. The Company will provide reasonable security and cleaning services for the Show Player(s) during their stay at the Residence although for the avoidance of doubt, Show Player(s) will be expected to behave responsibly and with due regard for the safety and wellbeing of fellow Show Player(s) at the Residence or any other Location.
16. All accommodation during periods where Show Player(s) are required for production (excluding, for example, periods of scheduled production breaks) will be arranged and paid for by the Company
17. Each Show Player(s) luggage and person shall be checked prior to start of the competition (and at one or more times during the Program Schedule, at the Company's sole discretion) to ensure compliance with these terms. Should prohibited items be found at any time, the Company shall confiscate them until the conclusion of the competition, at which time they will be returned to the contestant.
18. Essential medical supplies required by contestant must be disclosed to the production staff in advance. Prescription medication must be in its original bottle or packaging and must be prescribed for the individual taking such medication. Narcotics and drugs of any sort (other than drugs that have been prescribed for the contestant and cleared by the Company in advance) may not be brought to any Series Location. Any such drugs found at any Series Location will be confiscated. Any contestant in possession of such drugs may be immediately expelled and the incident will be subject to notification of the appropriate authorities.
19. Show Player(s) will have very limited communication with the outside world. Show Player(s) will be able to call family members sparingly during the Program Schedule.
20. The Show Player(s) may not reveal anything about the show or production to the caller.
21. Please provide Emergency contact numbers to production staff. In the case of an emergency, a member of the Programme's production team will be available to deal with any issues, concerns or exceptions.
22. No Show Player(s) are to bring any alcohol into the house at anytime.
23. There is to be NO SMOKING INDOORS at the Residence or primary shooting locations.
24. Show Player(s) have the right and the obligation to report to the Company any breach of safety or any actions or circumstances they believe may jeopardize the safety of any person at any Location (as defined below). Including but not limited to sexual harassment, racial vilification and bullying. The Candidates have the right and obligation to report to the Company any breach of the Rules, or any actions or circumstances that they believe may jeopardise the Competition and/or the safety or participation of any persons connected with the Competition and/or the Programme.
25. Show Player(s) must follow the health and safety guidelines provided by the Company at all locations.
26. Show Player(s) must change into any protective clothing if any, provided by the Company before participating in any relevant filming.
27. Show Player(s) must wear sturdy closed toe shoes for at all filming locations and kitchen or restaurant environments.
28. Show Player(s) must always travel in the provided vehicle unless instructed otherwise by the Company. Seat belts must be worn at all times.
29. Show Player(s) must not endanger themselves or anyone else
B. Production and Access to Production Staff
1. A member of production will always supervise the Show Player(s), even on free time. If a contestant wants to step out for a break, they must first ask a Company or cast coordinator, and then be escorted out.
2. Show Player(s) should not speak with or interact with anyone on staff other than Companys and cast coordinators-please do not fraternize with camera crew or other production staff.
3. There will be a designated production area in the contestant accommodation/Residence. This area is OFF LIMITS for all Show Player(s).
4. Show Player(s) may be required to wear wireless microphones throughout any Location.
5. The duration of the Program Schedule shall be up to, approximately 10-12 weeks.
6. Should any free time be allocated to the contestant (free time shall be defined as time during which the contestant is not participating in an activity associated with the creation of the Series), Show Player(s) agree to refrain from seeking refuge in places that prevent the camera crew and/or production staff or Company from performing their tasks.
The success of the Show depends upon the unveiling of the Show during its premiere broadcast. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that Show Player(s) do not reveal anything about the Show to anyone and keep all information confidential. If any Show Player(s) reveals any information pertaining to the Show or persons involved in the Show, that contestant may be rendered ineligible to receive any or all of the prize and/or any other prizes or awards and subject himself/herself to serious legal liability. Show Player(s) cannot discuss any aspect of the Show (including other Show Player(s) or any event that occurs during shoot) with any person other than the Company or authorized personnel unless and until specifically authorized by the Company.
D. Press & Publicity
If any member of the press contacts any Show Player(s), whether before, during, or after that Show Player(s) participation in the Show, the Show Player(s) must not speak with them unless and until they have been specifically authorized to do so by the Company.
Show Player(s) may be subject to media scrutiny when the Program goes on air. It is absolutely vital that the Company is made aware of any concerns that Show Player(s) may have about this in advance. The media will be interested not only in the Show Player(s)' performance on the Show but also in personal histories. Please consider this very carefully. It would be in the Show Player(s) best interest to inform a member of the production if there is anything about their background or past which may be of media interest.
1. In addition to rules and conditions specified in this document, Show Player(s) may be disqualified or removed from the Show Location at the sole discretion of the Company for any of the following reasons including, without limitation (as decided by the Company in its sole discretion):
(a) In the instance of unlawful conduct or misconduct as determined by the Company in its sole discretion including, without limitation, harming or threatening to harm other Show Player (s) or production personnel, violent behavior, criminal damage or disobeying any of the Rules set by the Company;
(b) In the instance of illness or other health related matters; and
(c) Withholding symptoms or information from the Company's medical team.
2. An alternate contestant at the sole discretion of the Company may replace a Show Player(s) ejected from the Competition due to disqualification at any time.
1. Contestant is required to furnish necessary supporting documentation in original (i.e., birth certificate, school leaving certificate or passport) and/or any other documentary proof as may be required by the Company to confirm the eligibility of the Contestant(s). The Contestant agrees to do any and all acts and execute any and all documents in such manner and at such location as may be required by the Channel and/or STAR India in its sole and absolute discretion.
2. The Company also reserves the right change to change the selection process of the Contestant(s) (in any manner whatsoever as deemed fit) in Season 2 of the Program, without any prior intimation to the Contestants and/or the public.
3. Persons must enter the competition on their own behalf and entry(ies) by proxy will not be accepted.
4. Employees of the Company, of the production house "Colosceum Media Pvt. Ltd" the advertising agency or any other agency or third party vendor which has been appointed from time to time, and also employees of the main sponsors; and members of their immediate family; persons other than Indian nationals, or Indian nationals living out of India, or those who do not qualify under the definition of resident of India as per the Income Tax Act, 1961 or those not conversant in spoken Hindi, are ineligible to enter the Show. Failure to provide proof or affidavit of eligibility, including the correct date of birth within a reasonable time upon request by the Company may result in disqualification.The Company also reserves the right to disqualify a Contestant(s) incase a discrepancy is found to exist in the information furnished/provided/stated by the Contestant during the conversation with the Company and in the information(s) stated in the documents furnished by the Contestant(s).
5. Neither the Company nor the channel shall be responsible in case of any network problems such as breakdown of machinery, unclear network, disruption in the network, etc and/or the cost of the SMS charged by the network operator. Any dispute in connection to the above the Contestant(s) shall be required to directly approach the network/telecom operator.
6. In case of telecom and/or network failure, the Company reserves the right to change the voting system/mechanism or take any other such necessary steps as it may deem fit.
7. Telephone i.e. via mobile (i.e. SMS) and online is the only method by which a Contestant can enter the Competition. Nevertheless the Company reserves the right to introduce any other method/scheme/contest by which Contestants may enter the Competition.
8. In the event of any fault, misunderstanding or dispute concerning any part of the Show and/or the selection process to qualify for the Show, the decision of the Company shall be final.
9. The Company reserves the right to amend the rules as deemed fit or terminate the Show the Season and/or the Program at any time without any prior intimation or notice to the public and also the Company is not obligated in any manner whatsoever to compensate any person or persons who have participated in the Program and/or accommodate any person or persons who have been selected in the present Season of the Program in any further season of the Program or any other program of the Company.
10. By participating in Level 1 of the selection process for the Program by the Contestant(s), the Contestant(s) has agreed to abide by the Rules including these General Rules.
11. If the operation of the Show (including without limitation the operation of the telephone system); the recording; broadcast of any/all of the Shows is prevented by an event of force majeure the Company may cancel all or any part of the Show.
12. Notwithstanding a Contestant's participation in the Show there is no obligation on the part of the Company to broadcast any Show in which he/she has taken part, or any or all of his / her contribution as recorded by the Company.
13. The Company reserves all rights to make amendments to the existing rules without prior or subsequent notice. The Company shall not be responsible and/or liable in any manner whatsoever in case the Contestant(s) are unable to participate in the selection process due to failure on the part of the telecom operator, facility provider, etc.
14. Non-conformance by any contestant and/or the Show Player to the rules of the Show will disqualify them from participation.
15. The Contestant(s) and/or the Show Player(s) of the Show agrees that he/she shall hold harmless the channel, Company, its employees, officers or any other person in connection with the prize won by him/her and/or in relation to the Show/Program including but not limited to the selection process and also waives his/her right to file in person and/or through any family member and/or third party any applications, criminal and/or civil proceedings in any courts or forum in India against sponsor and/or the channel/Company to claim any damages or reliefs.
16. The Company and/or the channel is in no manner whatsoever responsible and/or shall not be held liable in any manner whatsoever, for any physical injury, death, mental and/or emotional trauma caused to the contestant(s) and/or the Show Player(s) in any manner whatsoever, in relation to the selection process.
17. If any dispute, grievance arises in connection with the validity, implementation, etc. in relation to the selection process or the Show/Program, the Contestant(s), Show Player(s) agrees and undertakes that such dispute, grievance which may arise shall be subject to arbitration to be conducted by a sole arbitrator, who shall be a senior official or a third party as deemed fit by the Company. The arbitration proceedings shall be held under the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 and the Rules frames thereunder. The place of arbitration shall be Mumbai. The sole arbitrator shall have no jurisdiction to grant interest. The decision of the sole arbitrator in this regard shall be final and binding on the aggrieved the Contestant(s), Show Player(s) and the Company. Subject to the provision of this clause, the Courts having jurisdiction under the provisions of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996, to determine all matters which the Court is entitled to determine under the Act, including, without limitation, provision of interim reliefs under the provisions of Section 9 of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996, shall exclusively be the courts at Mumbai, India. The law governing arbitration shall be Indian law.